Personal timeline

AcanthocephalaOk9607's journey

Milestones, reflections, and progress updates connected as your layoff-to-next-step story unfolds.

  1. 3

    I recently signed a contract for a Projects Administrator position at a fast-growing data centre and energy company, starting this Monday. The role offers a salary of €42.5k plus a bonus, and it's conveniently located just 20 minutes from my home. However, I'm feeling uncertain because I have four other job options that I'm considering, and I'm worried I might be making the wrong move. To give you some context, I hold a Food Science degree and am currently studying Construction Contracts Management at night. My goal is to pivot into project delivery within construction, energy, or infrastructure. In terms of what I value most in a job, my priorities are long-term earning potential, opportunities for development and skill-building, and job security. Here's a quick rundown of my options: - **Job A (SIGNED, starts Monday):** Projects Administrator at a data centre/energy company. €42.5k + bonus, permanent, 20 mins from home. The downside is that it's more of an admin/support role rather than actual project delivery. - **Job B (offer, expires Monday):** Junior Planner at an M&E construction firm. €45k, permanent, and it would teach me valuable skills in planning and scheduling, although it requires a longer commute to Dublin. - **Job C (offer):** Supply Chain Lead role at €57k, but it's in a sector where I previously experienced burnout, so it feels like a step backwards. - **Job D (still interviewing):** Graduate Construction Manager programme focused on hyperscale data centres. Salary is between €30k-40k, but it offers a structured two-year development pipeline into construction management. - **Job E (still interviewing, not yet an offer):** Construction Project Analyst at a major data centre company with a salary of €63k, which aligns perfectly with my career goals. Initially, my plan was to start Job A on Monday, work there for six months to gauge my interest in the industry, and keep pursuing the €63k opportunity in the background. However, I'm now second-guessing my decision. I'm questioning whether it's wise to let the €45k planning offer (Job B) expire for a €42.5k admin role when planning is a tangible skill. Should I be holding out for the €63k role that isn't confirmed yet? And is it naive to turn down the €57k offer (Job C) simply because I'm concerned about the sector? I could really use some advice on this.

    Job title: Projects Administrator

    0 0

    Loading comments…

    Comments

  2. 2

    I’m a 26-year-old planning analyst in the beverage manufacturing sector, currently earning €45k after a recent raise from €38k. However, I've hit a dead end in my career with no opportunities for advancement due to the small size of the sector and lack of movement above me. I've just completed a construction degree as I'm looking to switch fields. I have two job offers on the table: 1. A junior project controls role at a large consultancy in Dublin, offering €35k plus a €3k car allowance. The role is part of a major infrastructure program, but it comes with a long commute and likely no salary review for 20 months since it's a graduate program. 2. A PMO Administrator position at an energy company, offering €42.5k with a 5% bonus. It’s only 30 minutes away and offers a hybrid work model, but the title is a step down from my current role, and they mentioned I might be overqualified. I’m weighing whether making this career switch is worth it, especially considering the potential salary drop and the title change.

    0 0

    Loading comments…

    Comments

  3. 1

    I’m currently at a crossroads in my career. I’m a 25-year-old supply planner and commercial professional at an alcohol company, where I started with a salary of $35k three years ago, which has only increased to $38k despite taking on significantly more responsibilities. For the past two years, I've been advocating for a pay raise, but the company is in a precarious financial situation, and I feel I’m one of the most underpaid employees. Frustrated, I developed an exit strategy and enrolled in a construction contracts management course, which I’ll complete in August. I’ve received an offer for a graduate program at a global consultancy for $38k, focusing on large-scale infrastructure projects. While I enjoy parts of my current job and have had opportunities to travel to Asia and Europe, I’m torn because just last month, my company offered me a raise to $45k, which I found disappointing given my contributions. Now, I have a tough decision to make about whether to stay or pursue the new opportunity.

    Company: alcohol company

    Job title: supply planner and commercial professional

    0 1

    Loading comments…

    Comments