Personal timeline

Fun_Law_4475's journey

Milestones, reflections, and progress updates connected as your layoff-to-next-step story unfolds.

  1. 1

    I'm currently in a tough spot as an international student on OPT, working as an intern at my company. I've been here for three months and I'm eligible for STEM OPT, which gives me some options moving forward. I have two potential scenarios that I'm weighing. In the first scenario, I might receive an internal referral for a full-time role at my company while also having the chance for my internship to convert to a full-time position. If that happens, I would likely prefer to stay with my current team since it aligns better with my studies and I genuinely enjoy the work. However, I'm concerned about how to gracefully decline the internal referral if I choose to stay with my team, especially since my mentor is involved in that process. I want to maintain goodwill and not jeopardize our relationship. In the second scenario, if I get the internal offer but my internship is only extended and not converted, I face a dilemma. Extended interns aren't eligible for H-1B sponsorship, which could mean missing out on this year's lottery. The referred role might offer sponsorship, but it’s not closely aligned with my career goals. So, I’m stuck between the need for visa sponsorship and pursuing work that I am passionate about. I have a few questions I’m hoping to get advice on: 1. Is it appropriate to discuss the referred role while waiting for my current team's decision? Should I inform my mentor or hiring manager about this potential offer? 2. If you were in my shoes with the second scenario, which option would you choose? Does having STEM OPT give me an advantage in this situation? 3. Has anyone successfully leveraged an internal offer to encourage their manager to convert their internship or provide sponsorship? How did you approach that conversation? 4. If I decide to take the sponsored role, how realistic is it to transfer back to a team like my current one after a year or two? No decisions have been made yet, but I want to make the best choice given my limited time in the U.S. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

    Job title: intern

    0 0

    Loading comments…

    Comments