Personal timeline

Hushed_ndflused's journey

Milestones, reflections, and progress updates connected as your layoff-to-next-step story unfolds.

  1. 1

    I recently had my probation extended by three months at my current job as a software developer in India, which has left me feeling quite humiliated. I joined the company in July 2026 and now my probation will last until January 2027. The feedback I've received has pointed out issues with my communication and collaboration skills, especially how I react during disagreements. I recognize that I can get defensive when I feel disrespected, and I know I need to work on that. However, I believe my technical skills are solid, and this situation has really shaken my professional confidence. Currently, I'm on the bench because the project I was supposed to join has been delayed. I've been told that resource management is looking for opportunities for me, but the uncertainty is stressful. Watching others get allocated to projects while I wait has only made me feel worse. The probation extension letter states it runs until January 13, 2027, and I’m concerned it might affect my eligibility for the April 2027 increment, although I haven't confirmed this with HR yet. I'm seriously considering leaving the company. I don’t see myself staying here long-term, and this experience has really impacted my self-esteem. However, I don't want to resign impulsively without having another job lined up, especially with the job market being uncertain. My notice period is one month, so I'd ideally like to secure another position before making any moves. Additionally, I’m planning to apply for a master's program abroad for the September 2027 intake, which adds another layer to my decision-making regarding my career and finances over the next year. Some friends have suggested that if they were in my position with a probation extension, they would resign, which has made me question whether I’m compromising my self-respect by staying. I’m seeking advice on a few points: 1. Is a three-month probation extension a serious red flag, or can it be overcome? 2. Should I stay and apply for other jobs, or resign to focus on finding a better opportunity? 3. How should I approach HR regarding the potential impact on my April increment? 4. Am I overreacting emotionally, or is it reasonable to feel that my confidence in this company has been damaged? 5. If anyone has faced a similar situation, what actions did you take, and what would you do differently?

    Job title: Software Developer

    0 2

    Loading comments…

    Comments