Personal timeline

Imaginary_Section24's journey

Milestones, reflections, and progress updates connected as your layoff-to-next-step story unfolds.

  1. 3

    I'm currently weighing a tough decision between my job as a Manager at a large national corporation, where I make about $100k a year (not counting bonuses, which have been nonexistent for the last two years), and a new offer I received from another similar-sized company for an Associate position at $130k plus a bonus. The bonus typically hovers around 15%, but this year it was only 8% due to economic conditions. Both positions offer comparable work-from-home days and benefits, and the offices are in the same area, which is convenient. The catch is that my current role is on track for a potential promotion to Director, which could bump my salary to between $185k and $200k within the next year. This promotion is somewhat expected since one of the directors is retiring soon, but it's not guaranteed that I would be the one to fill that position. I'm torn because while the immediate salary increase with the new offer is attractive, the future promotion could be even more lucrative. Friends and family are split on what I should do. My parents brought up a valid concern about moving from a Manager to an Associate role, suggesting it might hinder my chances of jumping to a Director position later on, as it may not look good on my resume. I understand their point, but I also believe that skills are transferable, much like riding a bike. I'm reaching out for any insights or advice from those who might have faced a similar situation. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

    Job title: Manager

    0 1

    Loading comments…

    Comments

  2. 2

    I recently interviewed for a position at a company and had a conversation with the hiring panel about their decision-making timeline. They mentioned that the HR manager would compile evaluations but didn't have a clear timeline for when decisions would be made. At the end of the interview, I expressed that I was considering other opportunities, and they encouraged me to inform them if I received another offer. They suggested that doing so might help speed up their decision-making process if I was a strong candidate. I’m left wondering if this is a positive sign or just a polite gesture. Some friends and family have mixed opinions on what this could mean for my chances. I felt the interview went well overall, but I’m uncertain about the implications of their response.

    0 3

    Loading comments…

    Comments

  3. 1

    I am currently navigating a tricky situation with my job search as I am in the running for two co-op positions related to my degree. I received confirmation from Job #1 that they will be sending an offer next week, while I am in the final interview round with Job #2, where I will be meeting the Director of my department on Tuesday. My concern is the timing of these offers. I prefer Job #2 because it offers better opportunities, a closer commute, and higher pay, but I also understand the importance of securing a position, especially given the current economic climate. I am considering whether it would be unprofessional to ask the Director at Job #2 about the timeline for their hiring process, given that I have a pending offer from Job #1. I want to be transparent and express my preference for Job #2, but I am also worried that this might jeopardize my chances with them. I am contemplating whether I should accept Job #1 now to ensure I have something secured, then potentially withdraw if Job #2 comes through with a better offer. I am seeking clarity on the best approach to take in this situation.

    0 2

    Loading comments…

    Comments