I recently received a competitive job offer and I'm trying to figure out how to negotiate with my current employer. I've been with my company for 9 years, working as the sole expert in both mechanical and controls engineering for a crucial department. The past year and a half has been challenging, especially after a mismanaged move that led to layoffs of my coworkers. I feel indispensable, and I know they would struggle without me. While I appreciate my current role, my work-life balance has suffered. I’m loyal to my previous boss and don’t want to leave him in a bind if I decide to move on. The new position as a controls engineer offers a $5K increase in salary, bringing it to $125K, and it includes matching my current 4 weeks of vacation. It seems like a promising opportunity with potential for growth, especially since I’ve transitioned into controls engineering over the last two years and enjoy that aspect of my work. I’m torn about whether to discuss my situation with my current employer before or after accepting the new offer. I have until next Thursday to make a decision, but I feel uneasy about the idea of accepting the new position and then possibly backing out if my current employer makes a counteroffer. Ideally, I’d want at least $130K to stay, but I’m not sure how to approach the conversation. I’m leaning towards accepting the new role unless my current company addresses my managerial concerns and offers a more substantial raise. It’s a tough decision, and I’m looking for advice on how to navigate this situation.
Job title: controls engineer
Loading comments…
Comments