I recently faced a tough decision regarding my job situation. After working for a large healthcare organization for 2 and a half years on a contract that was set to expire in March 2027, I found myself without any benefits, vacation, or sick days—just my hourly wage plus a small vacation pay. I loved my role, but the lack of job security and the way the position was funded led me to seek other opportunities as I was starting to feel burnt out. I applied for several positions in my community and eventually secured a short 5-month contract with my municipality. This role offers health benefits after three months, which was a significant factor for me. Even if I only stay for the contract duration, I would still receive two months of benefits. I went through a lengthy interviewing and onboarding process for this position. Just as I started at the municipality, I received a job offer from a community legal aid provider. This position is a multi-year contract, offers paid time off, but lacks benefits. The legal aid job is very close to my dream job, while the municipality role is something I have experience in and can perform well. However, I have mobility limitations that make walking and standing for long periods painful. The municipality job requires a lot of physical activity, whereas the legal aid position would mostly be in an office setting. The pay for both jobs is similar, so that isn't a deciding factor. Additionally, there’s a possibility of going back to the healthcare organization in March on another contract, which complicates my decision further. My husband believes I should leave the municipality for the legal aid job, but I'm hesitant to burn any bridges professionally. The potential for a permanent position at the municipality is appealing. Now, I have to quickly decide whether to stay at the municipality until March, enjoying the benefits but with no job guarantees after that, or to leave for the legal aid provider, which offers job security for several years but no benefits. I would appreciate any neutral advice or input on this dilemma!
Company: municipality
Job title: N/A
Loading comments…
Comments