Activity type

Thinking

Showing the latest activities tagged under this category.

I recently put in my two weeks' notice at my job in South Dakota on September 24, intending to work until October 9. However, I was informed on September 28 that I was no longer employed as of the day I submitted my notice. I have a new job lined up to start on October 12, but I'm unsure if I should file for unemployment for the two weeks in between. I'm considering the Job Attached qualification to avoid having to search for another job, but I'm not sure if I qualify since I'm not returning to my old employer. I’ve heard that if I file, the first week would be unpaid, but the second week could be paid. I’m wondering if it’s worth it to file or if I should just take the time off unpaid.

0 2

Loading comments…

Comments

Today, I received a job offer for a claims specialist position at a small company, which has me weighing my options. Currently, I work at an insurance company making a base salary of $53K, and the new role offers $55K. However, there are some concerns that are making me hesitant. One downside is that after factoring in bonuses and the 401K match, the total compensation might be similar or even slightly lower than my current job. Additionally, the position was advertised as hybrid, but during my conversation with the VP, he mentioned that there isn’t a fixed hybrid schedule. While he suggested he could accommodate a 3 days in, 2 days home arrangement after I settle in, it still feels uncertain. Moreover, I got some weird vibes from the VP. For instance, when I asked for time to consider the offer, he implied that if I wasn't serious, he would hold the offer. He also made comments suggesting that wanting to work hybrid was not in line with the company’s values. On the flip side, the work seems more interesting and offers a better career trajectory. I'm really torn about whether to accept this offer or stay where I am.

Job title: claims specialist

0 1

Loading comments…

Comments

I’m currently in a tough spot at my job and really want to leave. I’m considering giving only 8 days notice instead of the full two weeks, as I’m waiting to hear back from a potential new employer. I plan to hold off on quitting until I have a formal job offer and have completed all necessary background checks and drug tests. I want to keep the option open to return to my current job if needed, but the thought of putting in another two weeks is overwhelming. It’s been a while since I’ve navigated this process, so I’m looking for advice on how to handle my notice period.

0 8

Loading comments…

Comments

A couple of months ago, my boss informed me that I would be the next person laid off due to some work being transferred offshore, and I was given a set date for my termination. As that date approaches, I haven't heard anything from HR or my manager, which has left me feeling uncertain. In the meantime, I managed to secure a new job, but it's only a temporary one-month contract. I'm in a bit of a dilemma: should I resign from my current job and forfeit any potential severance, or should I stick it out until I'm officially let go and inform my new employer that I have to decline their offer? I'm also concerned that my current employer might be waiting for me to quit so they can avoid paying me severance.

0 0

Loading comments…

Comments

Today, I found myself at a crossroads regarding my job. I’m currently working in a role where I generally get along with everyone, except for one particularly difficult coworker. I’ve been feeling completely miserable because of her, and it’s reached a point where I’m considering leaving. I might have a new job lined up in the same field, which adds urgency to my situation. The tricky part is that nobody at my current job suspects I’m planning to quit, which makes it all the more challenging. I’ve masked my discontent so well that my departure would likely come as a shock to everyone, especially since I’ve previously mentioned my frustrations to a few colleagues. Every single day at work feels like a battle, with this coworker making it unbearable. Despite that, I genuinely like the rest of my team and my boss, who is a great guy. I feel torn because I want to leave professionally, but I also fantasize about just storming out. I know the right thing to do is to give my two weeks' notice, but I’m worried about how awkward those remaining days would be, especially since there’s been a threat that the framing side of our business could shut down if I quit. This was said to my difficult coworker in an attempt to control her behavior, but it hasn’t worked. I feel a strong urge to just walk away, but I also want to respect my boss and leave on good terms. I’m seeking advice on how to navigate this situation without burning bridges, but it’s tough when one person makes the work environment so toxic.

0 3

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently took on a second job in food service after leaving a toxic work environment at the beginning of the month. I was initially promised my first job would start soon, but due to delays with permits, the small business hasn't opened yet. I thought the higher pay at the second job would help, especially since I'm used to a heavy workload. However, after just nine days (with only four shifts), I've realized I'm still feeling burnt out from my previous job and haven't had a great first impression of this new role. I'm now questioning whether I should stick it out for a few months to see if it improves or if it would be better to leave sooner.

0 0

Loading comments…

Comments

I applied for the HR Assistant position at William Osler Health System in Toronto and my application is still under review. I'm curious if anyone else has heard back from them regarding this role. Just trying to gauge the timeline for responses.

Company: William Osler Health System

Job title: HR Assistant

0 0

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently interviewed for a part-time host position and was informed that I was placed on a waitlist. The interviewer mentioned that there were other candidates applying for the same role, but she couldn't provide any timeline for how long the waitlist might last. I'm feeling a bit confused about what being on a waitlist really means and how I should proceed. Should I continue applying for other jobs while I wait for a response, or should I hold off? I just want to understand my options better.

Job title: part-time host

0 1

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently accepted a job offer for a position that starts on the 12th. I signed the offer letter and confirmed the start date, but I also made sure to give my two weeks' notice at my previous job, which was important to me. The new employer initially wanted me to start on the 5th, but I stood firm on my notice period. However, I've been feeling anxious lately after seeing several posts about job offers being rescinded after candidates have already quit their old jobs but before starting the new one. I haven't received any onboarding paperwork yet, and that uncertainty is making me nervous. I know it’s not super common for offers to be rescinded, especially since I have a signed offer and a confirmed start date. But the thought of it happening to me is unsettling. I plan to reach out to the new company to check in, express my excitement for the start date, and see if there are any onboarding items I need to complete. I just hope everything goes smoothly until my first day.

0 8

Loading comments…

Comments

Today, I had an interview during my lunch break for a new role while working at my current company, which requires me to be fully in-person. Finding a private space to conduct interviews has been challenging due to my managers frequently rescheduling meetings or stopping by my desk unexpectedly. So, I ended up taking the interview from my parked car. I made sure to dress professionally and blurred my background to maintain a good impression. The conversation felt positive, and I was excited to hear that they want to schedule a second interview. However, during the follow-up, the HR representative mentioned that the hiring manager noticed I was in my car. I explained my situation and that my car was the quietest option available. Thankfully, she understood and offered to set up the next interview before my workday, which I appreciated. Now, I'm a bit worried that taking the call from my car might have left a negative impression. I’m curious if HR’s comment was a concern or just an attempt to accommodate my schedule. I do have an in-person interview later on, and I hope that goes well. I’d love to hear thoughts on whether this might affect my chances.

0 8

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently found myself reflecting on my career choices and the job I left behind. A few years ago, I made the decision to leave my position as a project manager to focus on raising my family. My bosses were incredibly supportive during that time, understanding my desire to step away. After a year, I was approached by a former colleague who had been promoted and was now making hiring decisions. He encouraged me to apply for my old position, but I declined, wanting to pursue a career in my field of study instead. Fast forward to now, I’m on maternity leave with my second child, and I can't shake the feeling that I made a mistake. I really dislike my current job and often find myself reminiscing about my previous role. The work environment was much better, and there were opportunities for growth. I’m considering reaching out to my former colleague to see if there are any openings at the company. I feel a bit embarrassed about it since I turned down the chance to return before, but he was always so kind, and I know he’d be willing to help.

0 0

Loading comments…

Comments

I have an informal interview coming up with an agency that supports local schools, and I'm feeling a bit anxious about it. I'm currently a second-year student in a university city, and the job market is tough for students right now. This position is a 0-hour contract, which is ideal for me since I can work it around my university schedule. I was recommended for this opportunity by a friend of a friend, which gives me some hope. I've been told that the interview will be quite casual, more like a chat than a formal interview, but I still want to make a good impression. I'm unsure about what to wear; I've read that smart-casual is still a good choice even for informal settings. I'm considering wearing a long black maxi skirt with a button-up shirt. I also want to prepare for potential questions, especially those related to teamwork and problem-solving. If anyone has advice on how to navigate this type of interview or what to expect, I would really appreciate it!

0 0

Loading comments…

Comments

I was informally given a 3-week notice today that my role will be dissolved, and I won't be needed after that. This was communicated in a very disrespectful manner, and I feel quite frustrated, especially since I won’t receive any severance or paid PTO accrual. I have over 4 weeks of PTO, and I believe this decision is not in the best interest of the company. I'm left wondering what my options are. Can I ask them to terminate me now instead of waiting for the 3 weeks? I really don’t want to train my replacement, which they’ve openly stated is the plan. However, I also want to ensure I qualify for unemployment benefits. I've been advised to get everything in writing and to be cautious about how I approach this situation, especially regarding my unemployment insurance. I need to start looking for my next job while I still have a paycheck coming in. It’s a tough spot, and I’m feeling a mix of anger and anxiety about the whole situation.

0 8

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently faced a dilemma after getting a job offer. During the interview for my first job, I stated that I had open availability. However, shortly after, I received an offer for a second job with a fixed schedule. Now I'm unsure how to approach the first employer. I’ve been getting interviews from places I applied to in the past, and I’m worried about how to handle multiple offers if they come through. I know I need to be honest, but I want to make sure I’m making the right choice before I withdraw my application from the first job. I’m considering updating my availability with the first employer if I decide to keep both jobs. Any advice on how to navigate this situation?

0 1

Loading comments…

Comments

I just got laid off today from my role as a remote contract worker. The company said they needed to downsize, which I can believe since we hadn't been getting many clients over the past three months. Ironically, just last week my manager scheduled me for more projects and reassured me that things were turning around. I'm 26 years old and the sole breadwinner for my family, taking care of my mum and little sister. To make matters worse, our house is half destroyed because we were in the middle of a renovation. I have about $14,000 in savings, but since I'm a contractor, I didn't receive any severance. I'm feeling really anxious and worried about the future. I immediately started shortlisting companies in my field to apply for, but most of them don't hire where I live. Surprisingly, I managed to get an interview just hours after being let go, but I'm not too optimistic about the pay. I'm confused about whether I should jump at the first opportunity that comes my way or wait for something better. Can I even afford to wait?

0 5

Loading comments…

Comments

Today, I learned that I was laid off from my part-time job, though I'm not entirely sure if it was a layoff or a firing since I wasn't informed until now, apparently weeks later. I'm currently unemployed and searching for basic labor, factory, or warehouse jobs in my area, but it seems like Amazon labor positions and other retail jobs are scarce. I thought I lived in a decent mid-sized city, but it doesn't feel that way anymore. I'm considering what kinds of jobs might be worth relocating for, as I'm about to turn 30 and feel like I'm starting over in my career. I hold a business management degree with minors in economics and accounting, but I'm not certified in anything like CPA. Unfortunately, I don’t have any savings from my previous job, so I need to find something quickly that can help cover my psychiatrist appointments and bills. I'm feeling overwhelmed and would appreciate any suggestions or advice.

0 0

Loading comments…

Comments

I just got laid off from my job after only 7 months, and it hit me hard. There was no feedback or warning, which makes it even more frustrating. Now, I'm joining the ranks of those searching for a new position, and the thought of being unemployed for months is daunting. I've been reflecting on the importance of having an emergency fund; it’s crucial now more than ever. I’m trying to save every penny I can and avoid unnecessary purchases like new electronics or clothes. This system really pushes us to spend rather than save, and I want to be prepared for whatever comes next. I’ve heard that having a fund that covers 12-18 months of expenses is more realistic these days, and I’m starting to see why. I’m hoping to find something soon, but I know I need to be financially ready for the unexpected.

0 3

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently returned to my role after a 4-month parental leave, and I’m finding it incredibly challenging to work under my current boss. They started about a year ago, and while they were initially abrasive but manageable, their management style has deteriorated significantly since my return. I've been back for just three weeks, and the situation has become unbearable. My boss has been demanding daily updates on my work, yet they rarely review the materials I send. Just last week, I submitted a simple code snippet as requested, but it took them nearly a week to discuss it, during which I was lectured about my process. The criticism felt unwarranted, especially for such a minor piece of work. When I provided a reasonable answer to a question about verification, I was dismissed outright, which felt demoralizing. Additionally, my boss has made it clear that I shouldn't communicate with my coworkers, which is counterproductive given how collaborative our team needs to be. I tried to defend a colleague who helped me, and I fear I may have put them in a difficult position. The overall atmosphere is toxic; my boss frequently cancels meetings without notice, doesn’t pay attention during discussions, and often prioritizes messaging others over our agenda. This has left my team feeling frustrated and undervalued. We have smart, hardworking individuals on our team, but the boss’s inability to connect with us is driving many to consider leaving. One person has already quit, and two others are on indefinite leave. I’m feeling trapped in this situation, trying to comply with unreasonable demands while maintaining my sanity. I’m documenting everything in case I need to escalate or prove a pattern of behavior, but it's disheartening to think about leaving a job I love due to a boss I can't stand.

0 2

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently received a job offer for a marketing coordinator position at a mid-sized tech company. I'm excited about the opportunity, but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with the decision-making process. I want to make sure I'm accepting the right offer and not overlooking any important details. I could really use some advice on how to evaluate the offer, especially regarding salary, benefits, and company culture. Any tips or experiences you could share would be greatly appreciated!

Job title: Marketing Coordinator

0 0

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently found myself in a difficult situation at my job in India. My manager has threatened to put me on a Performance Improvement Plan (PIP), and now they're also considering extending my notice period through HR. I'm feeling quite anxious about what my options are moving forward. I want to understand my rights and any steps I can take to protect myself during this process. Any advice or insights from those who have faced similar situations would be greatly appreciated.

0 1

Loading comments…

Comments