Activity type

Got a Job

Showing the latest activities tagged under this category.

I recently took a part-time job at my college's bookstore, Follett, expecting to work 15 to 20 hours a week throughout the school year. It seemed like a great opportunity given my schedule, so I accepted the offer and started onboarding, which included a background check and the usual paperwork. However, things quickly went downhill. Despite my efforts to complete the I-9 form early, I received multiple automated texts saying it wasn't done, and I could be terminated if I didn't resolve it. To make matters worse, I only ended up getting 12 hours of work over two weeks. Then, out of nowhere, I got an email saying my position was no longer needed. I was diligent, showed up early, followed instructions, and even asked how I could help more. I can't believe how unfair this situation is. I understand it was a temporary job, but letting people go after such a short time, especially when they clearly overhired, feels wrong. I just hope they struggle when classes start.

Company: Follett

Job title: part-time employee

Unresponsive Toxic interview Hired Mixed signals
0 1

Loading comments…

Comments

I received a job offer this morning for a Development Associate position in Higher Ed Advancement, with a salary of $64K. The posted salary range was between $50K and $84K. As an alumnus of the institution, this would be my first job after college. Although I lack direct fundraising experience, I believe my data analysis and management skills from my Economics degree, along with my years of customer-facing experience, add value. I live in a high-cost city and was hoping for a salary closer to $70K. During the first interview, I mentioned a salary range of $59K to $67K based on a similar position at another university. However, as I progressed through the interviews, I recognized that the role has more scope than I initially thought. I've been actively working on gaining Excel certifications, learning SQL, and I plan to start a master's in Business Analytics in Spring 2027. Now, I'm contemplating whether it's reasonable to negotiate for a higher base salary closer to $70K, or if that would be unwise. Regardless of their response, I genuinely want the job, but I can't overlook the high cost of living and the student loans I have to start repaying this November.

Job title: Development Associate

0 0

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently accepted a new position at a larger corporation, which unfortunately came with a noticeable salary cut. I'm 24 years old and hold a Bachelor's degree in a broad field. I was feeling stuck in my previous role, as there was no room for advancement, and I knew I needed to make a change. My hope is that this new role will help me advance my career and enhance my resume for future opportunities, or even allow me to climb the ladder at this new company. It's starting to hit me that I was quite comfortable in my last job, and the salary was nice. However, I realized that waiting until I was in a desperate situation to find a new job would have been a mistake. I'm trying to reassure myself that I made the right choice, but only time will tell if this was the right move. I'm telling myself to trust the process because there's no turning back now. Has anyone else experienced a similar career shift with the same motivations?

0 0

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently received a job offer from RD Solutions for a part-time position, where I would be working about 4-5 hours a week. I'm currently looking for a second job and need to make a decision quickly. The role is based in Indiana, and they mentioned that the first 50 hours would be at a set pay rate, after which the compensation would switch to a pay-per-item structure. I'm trying to figure out if this opportunity is worth pursuing.

Company: RD Solutions

Job title: part-time position

Hired
0 0

Loading comments…

Comments

I was laid off just a month after returning from maternity leave. Last year, I lost my dream job while I was on leave following a complicated delivery. They made me finish a high-value project, and right after it shipped, I was let go. I had sensed this might happen even before my leave, despite submitting my request way in advance. Once I was laid off, I spent three months focused on building and learning AI. I went through four interviews and applied to around 230 roles. After four months of unemployment, I finally landed a new job. I was really passionate about learning during that time, and although it took longer than I expected, I secured a position that offered a $70k pay increase. My interview process was swift, taking only seven days. I want to encourage others in similar situations: keep looking for roles, especially at competitors. Remember to prioritize your own development and growth. Stay curious and keep learning; you deserve it.

0 2

Loading comments…

Comments

I was laid off last year from my role as an Office Manager, where I was earning $98k. Now at 62, I’ve been actively searching for a new position for the past 7 months. I've sent out over 210 resumes and attended numerous interviews, but I can't shake the feeling that my age is working against me. Despite looking much younger than my years due to a healthy lifestyle, I’ve faced rejection after rejection. Eventually, I accepted a job offer at a company for significantly less pay, just to have something. Unfortunately, the role has me doing tasks outside of my job description, which I really dislike. Recently, I spotted a position at a firm where a friend works. I applied, got a call the next day, and interviewed. They even hinted at a better position that wasn’t listed yet, and my friends mentioned they were going to make me an offer. However, after waiting for weeks, I was told they were going in a different direction. I can’t help but think my age played a role in their decision, especially since the interviewers were likely around my age. Now, I'm stuck in a job I hate with the nagging feeling that no one will hire me due to my age. It’s frustrating to see ageism so prevalent in the job market.

0 8

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently gave my two weeks' notice as a milk tanker driver after nearly 11 years with my current company. With 16 years of overall driving experience, I decided to apply for local fuel hauling positions after relocating to a larger city. I received calls for interviews and was invited to take the drive test, but since I was out on the road, I couldn't make it back in time, which led to me being sidelined while they hired someone local. At least one company was kind enough to inform me about the situation. Currently, I have a potential offer with Loves for a fuel driver position. If I get the green light, I might just skip the two-week notice altogether, clean out my truck, and leave it at the terminal. I want to ensure that the new job works out for a few years. I'm sharing this experience because I've seen mixed advice about giving two weeks' notice. It seems to work well for corporate jobs, but in the trucking industry, it's often better to jump ship once you secure a new position, especially after dedicating a decade to your previous employer. It's interesting how frequently terminal managers change in this field, which adds to the unpredictability.

Company: Loves

Job title: fuel driver

Hired
0 0

Loading comments…

Comments

I finally received a job offer for a seasonal position in my field, which is exactly what I want to do. However, I’m facing several barriers that make it difficult to accept. I would need to move to a new location in just two weeks, and I currently don’t have a car, which complicates things further. I've been working two part-time jobs, including an unpaid internship, to save up for a vehicle. Although this position would provide valuable experience for my resume, I’m frustrated with the timing and logistics involved.

0 0

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently landed a busser job at a restaurant after a series of interviews that were quite challenging. The first interview was straightforward, but the second one had the interviewer arriving 20 minutes late. For the final interview, I made sure to show up 10 minutes early, despite walking almost a mile in heels under the Texas sun, only to wait for 2 hours before I could finally speak with the interviewer. Thankfully, I got the job and was told to come in for training the next day at 10 AM. However, I woke up feeling extremely drained and possibly suffering from heat exhaustion. When I tried to bike to the restaurant, I felt unwell and had to call them to say I couldn't make it, which was about 16 minutes after the scheduled training time. I couldn't find any management contact information, just the restaurant's general number. After getting home, I emailed the contact address I found online, asking to reschedule and even offered to come in early to make up for the missed training. It's been a while, and I haven't received any response yet. I'm feeling uncertain about whether I should reach out again or if they will consider my situation given the circumstances of the interviews. My mom thinks they might still give me a chance, but I'm worried they might choose someone else instead. Should I try to find a manager's number and call again?

Job title: busser

0 1

Loading comments…

Comments

I just had a major surprise in my job search journey. After struggling with unemployment for 1.5 years, I finally landed a job in June, even though it was a low-level position that didn't match my master's degree background. I knew the recruiter, so I took the opportunity, despite the minimum pay and terrible hours. I've been putting in around 80 hours a week, hoping for a promotion that my employer hinted at, with promises of a more interesting role coming up in the fall. However, I've been left in the dark with only vague updates like 'we are working on it.' Out of nowhere, a client I started working with three weeks ago offered me a full-time position. This new job comes with full benefits, normal hours, and a 100% pay increase, which is negotiable! It's incredible how, after sending hundreds of applications and struggling to get interviews, my hard work has finally started to pay off. I guess being seen in action has made a difference. Now, I just need to navigate these negotiations carefully.

0 1

Loading comments…

Comments

I just received a job offer and I'm set to start next Monday. Currently, I'm working at a company where I've been for just a month, but I've decided to leave to take this new position. I plan to resign later today, effective immediately, since I'm an at-will employee. The new job is at my daughter's school district, which means I’ll have the same holidays as her, and the hours are much better for my schedule. The pay is the same, so that wasn't a deciding factor. This is my first time making such a quick transition, and I feel a bit uneasy about being unprofessional by not giving notice. I'm curious if anyone else has been in a similar situation and how they handled it.

0 3

Loading comments…

Comments

I was hired about a month ago for a position at a small startup with just 10 employees. Recently, I noticed that the exact same job posting I applied for a couple of months ago was reposted on LinkedIn, but in a completely different location. This new location is some village in Africa, while I’m currently based in Western Europe. It left me feeling a bit anxious, wondering if they might be planning to replace me. I mean, why would they post the job again in a different location if everything was fine? I’m slightly freaking out about this situation and looking for any insights or advice from others who might have experienced something similar.

0 2

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently started a part-time job as a graphic designer, which aligns perfectly with my major. I've been enjoying my time there, and I feel appreciated by the company, especially since they recently highlighted me in a blog post. However, I often find myself with not much to do, and while I like my team and the job itself, I'm considering an interview for a full-time position that pays between $40,000 and $50,000. This new job is closer to my home, but it also pays $17 an hour, which isn't enough to cover my adult bills in Florida. I'm currently juggling multiple jobs, including tutoring and teaching art, which I love but can be inconsistent due to school closures. I applied for the new position on a whim because it seemed interesting and relevant to my skills. Now, I'm feeling anxious about the possibility of changing jobs so soon after starting this one. I truly enjoy my current role and the people I work with, but the lack of benefits and the need for a steady income are weighing on my mind. I'm torn between staying where I am and pursuing this new opportunity. I guess I'm just trying to figure out if it's okay to want a new job so soon and how to handle this anxiety about potential change.

0 0

Loading comments…

Comments

I graduated with my ELA credential in December and was fortunate enough to land a teaching position at an alternative school in February. My current job is relatively low stress, offers a good salary, and provides year-round employment with generous PTO, including a two-week summer break and winter break. However, I don’t see this role as my long-term career path. I’ve always dreamed of being a traditional classroom teacher, focusing on direct instruction. Recently, I received an offer for an English teacher position at a school district I’ve always admired. Although it comes with a pay cut and will likely be more stressful, it aligns with my career aspirations and offers a 10-month work schedule. They even offered a signing bonus that would match my current salary, but I would take a pay cut next year. I’m feeling torn between these two opportunities and would appreciate any advice on how to navigate this decision.

Job title: English teacher

0 1

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently accepted a job offer with a local organization that works with kids, and I was really excited about it because the pay and scheduling seemed perfect. However, I'm already feeling overwhelmed even before my start date. The owner, whom I’ll refer to as Jean, has been very unprofessional and disorganized in her communication, which has left me feeling confused and anxious. Jean only communicates through text, often late at night, which I find inappropriate. I haven’t seen her in person since my initial interview, and during that interview, she interrupted and made a comment that felt disrespectful. The biggest issue is that she is trying to schedule me for shifts without confirming my background check or even discussing my availability properly. I specifically mentioned that I cannot work on Sundays due to church commitments, and I was told that weekends are mandatory, which was never mentioned in the job ad or during the interviews. Now, I'm being asked to cover late shifts on Fridays and Saturdays to compensate for my unavailability on Sundays, which feels unreasonable. I’ve already filled out the necessary documentation and signed everything, but the constant back-and-forth about scheduling is making me reconsider if this job is the right fit for me. I have another interview lined up tomorrow, and while I want to give this job a fair chance, the lack of clear communication and the stress it's causing is making me question whether I should even start. I’m feeling torn about how to approach this situation, especially since I don’t want to quit before I even begin.

0 3

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently received an offer for a new role after working with a third-party recruiter for some time. The recruiter has been quite difficult and abrasive throughout the process, making me feel bullied. I got the offer letter, and while I’m excited about the salary bump, I noticed that the benefits are significantly worse than what I currently have. I decided to ask the hiring company if they could provide a sign-on bonus to compensate for the benefits I would be giving up. However, the recruiter reacted negatively, saying I should have brought this up earlier. The thing is, I couldn't have known I wanted it until I saw the full offer package. Now I'm questioning if I did something wrong by trying to negotiate after receiving the offer. I feel like I’m within my rights to discuss my needs, especially since the recruiter seems more focused on their commission than my well-being. Overall, I’m still planning to accept the job because it’s a good fit for me, but I’m frustrated with the recruiter's attitude.

0 8

Loading comments…

Comments

I received a job offer today, and I couldn't be more thrilled! This opportunity really boosts my self-esteem, especially after a rough patch in my job search. I'm excited to start this new chapter in my career!

0 0

Loading comments…

Comments

I still remember the day I got fired from my first job like it was yesterday. I had moved over 500km from my hometown to take this position, and when I lost it, I was devastated. I spent an hour crying because I had worked so hard and didn't want to go back home without any income. It felt like the end of the world at that moment. However, looking back, getting fired turned out to be one of the best things that ever happened to me. Instead of jumping back into the job market, I decided to spend a whole year studying for government exams. I dedicated myself to my studies, and after a lot of hard work, I passed the exams! Soon, I'll have a stable job in my field, which I studied in college. But I’m not stopping there. Since it will be at least five months before I start my new job, I’ve begun preparing for a promotion. Achieving this would mean a salary that surpasses 90% of the population while working just seven hours a day and having three days of remote work. This experience taught me that sometimes life’s setbacks can lead to opportunities we never expected. If I hadn’t been fired, I wouldn’t have had the chance to focus on my studies so intensely. It’s a reminder that time is often needed to see the silver lining in difficult situations.

0 1

Loading comments…

Comments

I finally got an offer! Six months ago, just a week before my birthday, I made a mistake at work that led to my termination. In June, I received severance but had no job lined up despite my relentless search. Today, just hours after getting rejected from yet another position, I received a call from a job I had almost given up on. I was overwhelmed with emotion, cried, hugged my partner, and called my mom to share the news. While it’s not my dream job, it’s a position with the state in a department I truly care about. I want to encourage everyone out there to keep pushing through; there is light at the end of the tunnel.

0 0

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently interviewed for a position at Graphy Inc, a SaaS company under UNACADEMY, and I was thrilled to hear that I got selected. I filled out the pre-offer form, but it's been 7 days, and I'm still waiting for the official offer letter. I've been in touch with the HR daily, and she keeps telling me that the delay is due to some issues on the CEO's side regarding final approval. She reassured me that everything is confirmed, and we've discussed the salary and location, but the status in the Darwinbox portal is still stuck on 'pre-offer.' I'm feeling anxious about this situation and just want to know if I should be worried or if I should keep waiting.

Company: Graphy Inc

Job title: N/A

Hired Slow process Mixed signals
0 2

Loading comments…

Comments